Okra Gumbo Recipe
I have a great okra gumbo recipe that I recieved from my grandmother years ago. She always told me that an okra gumbo was very hard to make an that you need to follow the recipe line for line. I believe this was the only recipe that she actually followed. The below Okra Gumbo Recipe is delicious if perfromed perfectly.
5 lbs. peeled Shrimp
6 Crabs, cut in halves or Gumbo Crabs
Salt and Pepper
1 large Onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
6 cloves garli, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 Tablespoon Cooking oil or Olive oil
2 1/2 lbs. cut okra (discard stems)
1 Tablespoon Louisiana Hot Sauce
Water as needed
1 can peeled tomatoes
1. In a large pot, saute' okra in cooking oil over medium heat until okra stops stringing. This usually takes 20-30 minutes, sometimes longer. Brown okra stirring frequently.
2. Add onion and garlic and saute' until they are browned lightly.
3. Add seasonings and tomatoes, and a little water. Allow to simmer for another 5 minutes.
4. Peel shrimp, discard feelers from crabs, and use claws and bodies(cut in half).
5. Add about 2 quarts of water. Add shrimp and sectioned crabs to gumbo and cook for another
30 to 40 minutes.
6. Serve over rice and let each person add file' to his own taste.
7. Let your Tastebuds enjoy.
Want to try a Jambalaya Recipe
Other Gumbo Recipes
Please submit for favorite Recipe for other Visitors to enjoy.
Unique and fresh gift baskets at FromTheFarm.com