A crawfish etouffee, if made with a roux, usually has a reddish color: this is sometimes mistakenly attributed to crawfish fat. Crawfish fat is bright yellow, and will not color the dish red: the red color comes from the dark brown-red roux. There is typically no tomato in this dish. However, in some areas it has become popular to add tomatoes or tomato paste to the dish. In many parts of the country, outside of Louisiana, people make étouffée with cream; however, cream is never part of a Louisiana étouffée.
1 lb. Louisiana crawfish tails peeled
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 medium onion chopped finely
1 T. all-purpose flour
1 stick butter
1/2 green bell pepper
1 T. each parsley, paprika, and onion tops
salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in deep thick frying pan on low heat.
2. Add chopped onions, bell pepper, and garlic to pot.
3. Saute' for at least 10 minutes. Stir in flour.
4. Season Crawfish tails with salt, pepper, and paprika.
5. Add to other ingredients and add the 2 cups of water.
6. Stir and cook slowly for about 20 minutes.
Family Crawfish Etouffee Recipe
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup onions, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1 cup oil
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 pint water
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2 lbs. louisiana peeled crawfish tails
Slap Ya Mama Creole Seasoning to taste
1. Make a light roux with the flour and oil.
2. Add onions, bell pepper, and celery. Saute' until limp and shiny.
3. Add water and bring to a medium boil. Slow boil for 30 minutes.
4. Add Crawfish tails, Slap Ya Mama seasoning, green onions, and parsley. Stir well.
5. Allow to boil for 20 minutes.
6. Serve over rice.
Easy to Make Recipe
2 bell peppers, chopped
1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
1 box sliced mushrooms
2 large onions, chopped
1 bunch grenn onions, chopped
1 stick butter
4 pkgs. Louisiana Etouffee Mix
6 cans chicken broth
1 can Rotel tomatoes
3 lbs. Louisiana peeled crawfish
1. Saute' seasonings in butter.
2. Mix the 4 packages of etouffee mix with the chicken broth and pour into the sauteed mixture(add more water if mixtureis too thick).
3. Add rotel and bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add crawfish and simmer for another 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
6. Will serve 8-10 people.
7. Serve over Rice.
Submit Crawfish Etouffee Recipe.
Learn how to boil crawfish