New Orleans Red Beans and Rice
by Lisa B.
1 large bag red beans
1/2 lb. seasoning ham
1 large onion, chopped
1 T. parsley flakes
1 T. salt
1 lb. vernon smoked sausage
1/4 lb. bacon
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. garlic powder
2 bay leaves
1. Rinse and sort beans. Soak over night in 10 cups of water.
2. Drain Beans and add 10 cups of fresh water.
3. Bring beans to boil for about 10 minutes: then cover tightly and turn off heat.
4. Saute' onion and garlic with bacon and other seasoning until brown.
5. Add the sausage and ham and simmer. Then add all of this to beans and cook for 1 1/2-2 hours.
6. Serve over rice with Hot Bread.